Photograph courtesy of Bridgeport Public Library Historical Collections. Click on photo to enlarge image.
Shopping in downtown Bridgeport, Connecticut in the early 1900's was a joy. You get off the trolley on Main Street, and find yourself surrounded by a variety of stores.
One of the favorite stops for shoppers was Read's Department Store. David M. Read had opened a partnership with W.B. Hall and moved to Fairfield Avenue and Main Street. Going solo in 1877, David Read's store became known for clothing and other goods...kind of a one stop shopping place.
D.M. Read's was popular because souvenir gifts were given out with purchases. One of the finest gifts given out was the "rolled edge souvenir plate" that was manufactured by Rowland and Marsellus of Staffordshire, England.
The blue and white souvenir plate featured scenes of various points of Bridgeport...Seaside Park, the Barnum Museum, the harbor, Soldiers and Sailors Monument, as well as Bridgeport Hospital.
The plate has become a highly collectible piece of Bridgeport history.
Bridgeport Souvenir Plate the Gift of Robert and Sally Factor, in Memory of Robert Factor